with a theme of The BIG Outdoors!
For the last few years the Rickmansworth Festival has been running an activity trail aimed at children and young people attending with their parents. The Young Explorer Trail (YET!) allows children and their parents an opportunity to explore the site and take part in some hands on, fun, engaging activities on their travels.
In the last few years activities have varied from tours round various narrowboats, art activities, bridge building, fishing, waterski-ing, rowing and canoeing tasters as well as learning about water safety and lock operation – to name a few!
Each young person is given a passport and they use this to find the various bases scattered throughout the site. The bases are clearly marked with very large brightly coloured balloons and a YET! Flag on a pole. Once at the base, they undertake the activity on offer and then get their individual passport stamped.
Last year the Canal and River Trust kindly donated a goody bag of prizes for those who completed at least 8 activities.
We usually have a wide variety of activities on offer but we are always looking to enhance the trail to engage yet more children and young people, and provide organisations an opportunity to raise awareness with both parents and children
In 2020 we are linking in with the Hertfordshire Year of Culture and will be using the theme for May of ‘The Big Outdoors’, which really fits well with this Festival.
We are looking for groups who are attending the Festival who would like to offer an activityon the YET! Trail.
Activities offered should be:
- Open to all – though we recognise some activities may be aimed at older or younger children/young people – we can provide information on suggested age ranges in the passport
- Free! – participation must not have a charge
- Hands on and participative – We are looking for fun practical activities
- Your organisation will have a page in the passport allowing you to share information with both parents and young people
- An opportunity for you to engage with a wide variety of children and parents and raise awareness and/or potentially recruit.
- A large brightly coloured balloon helping to identify your stand
If you are interested in getting involved in the 2020 YET! Trail at Rickmansworth Festival or simply want to know more about it, then please send an email to: